"And all you see
Is where else you could be
When you're at home
Out on the street
Are so many possibilities
To not be alone" - Death Cab For Cutie
It seems that this verse is true for many of us all too often. Why is it that we are so blind to the opportunities around us? Why are our sights fixed on trying to see what may lie in the distance? Maybe it's just the culture we live in these days. The story Hollywood loves to portray is one in which the protagonist lives in an area seemingly devoid of any romantic interests, but everything changes in a flash when he/she decides to take a spontaneous vacation and meets their soulmate along the way. Granted, there are plenty of movies that have been made in which the main character encounters a sudden realization about a long time friend and they receive their own praise from within the romantic film audience, however they lack the mystery element which draws the masses in like flies to a flame.
Everyone is so busy waiting for that "love at first sight" moment that we disregard the possibility that the developing feelings for a person within our tightly knit circles could be exactly what we are searching for. For a personal example, I found myself hoping that college would bring opportunities to meet a possible "significant other." Of course, rather than finding someone up here, a crush from long ago stirred back up in my head. So now that my focus is back home, I lack interest in anyone else.
Am I the only one that really has this issue, or have you encountered/witnessed similar situations?
I apologize for such a depressing entry. I seem to be going through one of those slumps where I realize that at least 90 percent of my friends are in relationships and I don't even have anyone that I consider a realistic option. I promise to make the next one more light hearted.
Tuesday, March 31, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment