I miss the days I used to spend with just one or two close friends, giving each other our undivided attention. We would just hang out at a diner and talk about everything. Hopes, fears, dreams, "life, liberty, and the pursuit." That was always enough. All we needed was a cup of what the diner called coffee and the stories just flowed. The only reason anyone even looked at a phone was to check the time.
It's a bit different now. Face to face conversations have taken a backseat to all of the social websites, apps, and even texting. It is really depressing. There aren't many conversations that I can remember lately that haven't been interrupted because a text message or Facebooking just couldn't wait for some people. There are even conversations that have been completely dropped because of a status update. Why can't we find the ability to finish a thought without these useless interruptions?
I was just thinking about all the things I miss about life before "smartphones," so here are a few of the major ones:
I miss when I knew everything that was going on in my friends' lives. And not just because I read it in a status update, but because they confided in me.
I miss feeling like I'm more interesting than an inanimate object.
I miss when I didn't need this blog to get things off my mind.
I wonder what would happen if we all tried to go even one day without even looking at our phones and just enjoyed the company of the people that put the effort into actually being a part of our lives.
Wednesday, December 1, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I am so totally with you on this. I don't think anyone realizes what the full consequences of our detached interactions are going to be. All you can do is try to beat the odds by going out of your way to talk to people yourself, have them over, invite them out. And ask everyone to turn off their phones! At least for an hour. Ha. See if they'll do it. People don't even turn their phones off at church or in a movie anymore. It's nutty.
the other day i forgot my cell phone at home when i went to school.. and that day i happened to have to get a ride to school and was getting picked up as well... what sucked was that i really really needed it to get ahold of who was picking me up - the number that i needed was in it.. but as the day went on i kept reaching in my pocket for my phone to do the usual things i would do if i had it.. lol.. but it made me realize how much i actually use my phone, sometimes for pointless things.. anyways, since i was around 14 i have had a phone of some sorts and they keep getting more complicated and complex as the years go on... but since a few years ago i have felt like you have steve, just thinking about it makes me mad, i use to say "one day i am going to get rid of my phone" and "i dont need a phone"... i hate how it becomes our connection to the world.. and how no matter what anyone can get ahold of you and bug you at any time they want to... i raelly hate that... anyways... your post is music to my ears knowing that someone else hates it as much as i do :)
miss you steve!
Post a Comment