Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Out With The Old And In With The Sort-Of-New?

I finally got a chance to check out one of the college groups here on campus.  The group's name was His House and it's a nondenominational church group that meets every Wednesday at 7.  There is also a small group that I got invited to on Mondays (I figured I'd stray a little from the old routine by changing only the location of the groups I attend and the people in those groups.)  The group was cool.  They were all very welcoming and introduced themselves pretty much as soon as I walked in the door.  As soon as I took my coat off and found a chair, I was approached by a few people that noticed I was new and wanted to get to know me and get me connected with the church.  

I think the similarities between the new group and the high school youth group really helped me settle in and be more relaxed and open with the people I met there.  The group meets in the dinning area of the Quiznos instead of a church.  There is a full band and speakers set up all over the room.  The words to the songs and the text from the scripture being read is displayed on a screen via a projector.  Most of the songs were new to me, but there were a few songs that are always played at the church down home.  

Everyone was active in helping the church.  People were there a half hour early to help get everything set up.  While my friends and I were eating just as the restaurant was closing, 10 to 15 people were already moving tables out of the way and getting the sound system set up while a few others made sure the remaining tables all had bibles and info on the upcoming events.  They are also starting a campaign in all the residence halls and campus apartments to try to spread the gospel and a vast majority of the people in the group (which has about 75 or more people) committed to helping the movement.  One would be hard pressed to find a group of people around that are more in love with God than the people I met tonight.  I think this is exactly the support that I will need to help keep my morale up during my Mythology professors lectures on his views of religion.

2 comments:

Zombie said...

Thats awesome. I am glad you found a place you like.

Im Your Music said...

dude that is so dope!
I'm happy for you.

when i was up at CMU there was also a HIS House there. I heard good things of that place from my Friend Matt. hope you stay with it.
Keep me updated how things are going for you up there. I miss you Stevie.